Sunday, December 19, 2010

Reuben, Curried Butternut Squash Soup, Fruit


This is kind of a "fix it on the fly" kind of meal. But since it's what we had for supper one night last week, and took a nice picture, I thought I'd share. 



Reuben, Teresa-style, Soup, and Fruit
Since I'm not a cheese lover, we don't keep a bunch of different  kinds around.  Basically, mozzarella is our soft cheese, parmesan is our dry cheese, and feta is our crumbly cheese.  Jim likes to pick up bits and pieces that Whole Foods has out, so sometimes we have havarti, or gouda, but those are usually not in shareable quantities.  So even though Swiss is the official Reuben cheese, I think, we used mozzarella.

Ingredients
2 thick slices mozzarella cheese
Several slices of uncured pastrami or corned beef deli meat (or uncured corned beef brisket if you have time to cook one).
Rye bread (we use Whole Foods Jewish Rye)
butter
Butternut squash soup (I used Trader Joe's box'a'soup)
curry powder (I get mine from one of our local Indian  markets and look for the mildest one I can find)
Fruit (we used apples and giant purple seedless grapes)

Make sandwiches using meat and one slice of cheese.  Butter one side of the bread, and toast the outside on a hot iron skillet for 2-3 minutes until bread has browned.  Butter the side of bread facing you, then carefully turn the sandwich over to brown the other side for anothe 2-3 minutes (the cheese will also soften at this point).

To make soup: heat soup, stir in 1/4 teaspoon of curry powder per cup of soup, and salt to taste. 

Chop fruit as needed, and arrange on plate.

Eat. (I had a Reed's Extra Ginger Ale with mine).


        

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments, especially if you have a recipe to share!