makes 2-4 servings, depending on how much sauce you like on your pasta, and how much pasta makes a serving. this would be enough for about 4 servings at our house, with a little left to mix into veggies another day.
- 1 can pureed or diced organic tomatoes
- 5 garlic cloves, peeld and diced small or run through a garlic press
- 1 t each dried basil and oregano, or several teaspoons total of any combination of fresh basil, oregano, chives, marjoram, or thyme, chopped
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup wine, preferably red (merlot is usually good, but in a pinch I've even used rice cooking wine and adjusted the salt)
- 4 oz. chopped mushrooms, or a small can of mushrooms, drained
- up to 1 t salt (taste the sauce first to see if it needs any salt at all)
- 1 t sugar, if you taste the sauce and it seems harsh at all
- 3 T good Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, freshly grated (or just use the grated Parmesan if it's what's in the fridge--the flavor is different, but still works)
- 1 lb meat (usually ground beef or chopped chicken breast in our house. If you use the ground beef, you can cook it separately to minimize the fat ) - optional
- Extra Virgin olive oil for sauteing and to drizzle over sauce
- Penne pasta, cooked just al dente (reserve the cooking water separated from the pasta in case the sauce is runny), enough for each serving (since a serving can be anything from 1/2 cup cooked pasta in a weight-watching household to a full cup or more per person in a munchie household, it's hard to say how much pasta to have here).
Optional add-ins: plan on thickening the sauce with the pasta water, or a little extra grated cheese if you use any raw veggies in the recipe. If the sauce just won't thicken (it's happened to me), mix 1 T of rice flour or cornstarch to 1/4 cup water, and add to the sauce to thicken.
- 1-2 handfuls fresh chopped spinach
- 1 cup cooked greens of any kind, squeezed dry and chopped
- 1 cup chopped broccoli or cauliflower
- 1/2-1 cooked zucchini or yellow squash, cut small if necessary
- 1-2 raw tomatoes, cut small
- a handful of pitted olives, chopped
- Grated mozzerella, crumbled feta or other cheese
- chopped beef or turkey bacon--cook bacon first, then drain almost all fat and begin recipe as usual