Monday, October 25, 2010

Omelet!

Omelets have saved our mealtimes more often than you'd think, considering how little Jim likes eggs.  As long as I can cover their taste with omelet ingredients, though, he'll eat them and even enjoy them (a little bit).  Here's yesterday work:

  • 6-8 eggs (I'm lucky enough to have occasional access to a friend's chickens, so my eggs come in all different sizes--say 6 large and 8 small, or just use 7)
  • 1/4 cup whole milk, half and half, or cream
  • 2/3 cup cooked kale, chopped finely (or spinach)
  • at least 3 cloves of garlic--some days I hate peeling them. . .if I'm energetic I'd probably use 6
  • 1/3 of a large onion, cut as finely as you can without stress
  • 1 cup feta cheese (other cheese can be substituted; adjust the quantity on the flavor of the cheese)
  • 1-3 T whatever chopped fresh herbs you have (or a few tablespoons pesto)
Allow a skillet to heat for a minute or so.  Heat the onion in a tablespoon of olive oil mixed with a tablespoon of butter over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until translucent, then add the kale and the garlic.  Meanwhile, beat the eggs with the milk, then stir in the feta cheese.  Add to the pan of kale, onion, and garlic and immediately sprinkle the herbs evenly over the egg mixture.  If you're good at it, fold the omelet over once the bottom has set; otherwise, just slowly push the omelet's edges toward the center so it doesn't stick or get too brown (unless, of course, you like it brown. . .).  Grind some pepper over everything, and salt to taste.  I like my eggs a little runny, so I usually take my half out as soon as there's no obvious liquid but a kind of creamy look to them.  Jim wants them very solid, so I let his cook until they look rubbery to me.  If I'm sticking to my attempt to avoid starches, I'll serve this with hot tea and a side veggie; if not, I'll make toast or pester Jim into making biscuits to go with it.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    I'd love to hear your comments, especially if you have a recipe to share!