Friday, December 30, 2011

Boozed Up Edible Eggs

I eat a lot of eggs. . .they are cheap protein, full of nutrients, and can be made a variety of different ways.  Unfortunately, I also can get tired of eggs quickly, to the point that I push them around listlessly on my plate at breakfast and decide to have a big lunch instead of finishing them. 


Today I played around with my Plain Old Scrambled Eggs, and made something really yummy! (I did not post a picture of my actual eggs because my skill at photographing food does not seem to be anywhere near my skill at making it and eating it!) I waited around a while to make this, so I was hungry, and used 3 eggs.  I've made the recipe for 8 eggs, enough for 4 people. . .adjust as you see fit.

Anyway, today all I really had for breakfast was. ..you guessed it. . .eggs. I wasn't really feelin' the love, so I decided to be a little more creative than usual.  Thankfully we had been to Trader Joes (thank you for 3 Buck Chuck!) so I had some white wine. I mixed all the things that usually make eggs better into my omelet, and really enjoyed the finished product!  I also recommend this for a quiche filling.

Boozed Up Edible Eggs
8 eggs, beaten
2-4 oz. of crumbled feta cheese
3 T grated Parmesan (or other dry cheese)
1/4 c dry white wine
3 T all purpose flour
4 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed (the garlic mellows beautifully, so don't worry about using too much)
1/3 c whole milk
1-1/2  tsp grated dry herbs (I used a wonderful bottle of organic Greek herbs that have a grinder on it to keep it fresh, you can  mix whatever you like--oregano, basil, fennel, thyme, etc.)
1 T butter or olive oil

Mix all ingredients but the butter or olive oil. Heat a large skillet and add butter or olive oil.  Allow butter to melt and the foam to die down, if using, then pour the egg mixture into the pan.  If you are good at flipping omelets, let the mixture sit until mostly set, then flip and finish cooking on the other side.  If, like me, you have watched Jacques Pepin and Julia Child flip omelets, but you have only thrown them on the floor when you try to flip them, just push the eggs around so they finish cooking to the extent you like (soft, hard, creamy, rubbery--yes, I know of at least one person--my husband--who prefers his eggs a little rubbery). Transfer to a plate and eat.  If  you want to take a picture of your eggs, transfer them to a plate that is not stark white--red or orange or yellow is nice, otherwise you will just use a picture of fresh eggs when you show off your new recipe.

If you decide to make a quiche, you can make a pastry crust or a prepared pie shell, and put the uncooked egg mixture in it.  Cook in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes, then lower heat to 350 degrees and bake for 30 more minutes. (Or do what I would do--bake the crust in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes; pour in the cooked eggs, and put back in the oven with a little mozzarella for 10 minutes so it looks like the eggs cooked in the pie shell.)

**The lovely egg photo is by A. Laczek.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments, especially if you have a recipe to share!