Sunday, September 23, 2012

Peanut-Sesame Chicken


Tonight I got stuck with dinner duty. Don't get me wrong, I love cooking. But it's nice to have a husband who usually does the kitchen work (he's all mine!). I lost the scissors/paper/rock battle this time, so I burrowed through the fridge like a good girl.


I found a red pepper, broccoli, chicken, sesame oil, leftover millet, and peanut butter. Grabbing an onion and a bunch of garlic, I realized I had the fixin's for some great Peanut-Sesame Chicken. Here's how it's done (serves 2):

Heat an iron skillet on medium high heat while preparing ingredients.

Chicken:
1 large boneless chicken breast (mine was around 2/3 of a  pound)
3 cloves garlic
2 T sesame oil
Chop chicken into equal-sized pieces. Finely chop garlic, or run through a garlic press, and add to chicken along with sesame oil. Set aside to marinate.
Veggies:
1 small broccoli stalk (about 3/4 cup).
2/3 of a red pepper
1/2 onion
2 cloves of garlic
Peel broccoli stalk and cut stalk and florets into bite-sized pieces. Chop remaining veggies (or use a garlic press on the garlic). Set aside.

Add 1 T olive oil, and 1 t sesame oil to skillet. Give it 15 seconds to heat, then add veggies. Saute for about 7 minutes, then add chicken and marinade. while mixture cooks, make sauce.

Sauce:
1 T peanut butter
1 T sesame oil
1 T organic white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, or the same of fresh ginger
1/4 c boiling  water
Mix all ingredients until smooth.

Once chicken is just cooked through, add sauce to pan, stirring until everything is evenly coated. Serve over rice, millet, angel hair pasta, or thin Asian rice noodles. Toss with peanuts, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments, especially if you have a recipe to share!